Frequently Asked Questions
What are your schools’ hours?
- Daily Schedule:
- 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (TK-8th)
- Early Release Wednesdays:
- 8:00 a.m. - 2:15 p.m. (TK-8th)
- Minimum Days:
- 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (TK-8th)
Does St. Bede offer before/after school care or day care?
Yes, we do. Please refer to the Hornet’s Nest page of our website.
What is your absence policy?
If your child is going to be absent, please call the school office before 9:00 a.m. on the first day of the absence. You may request homework assignments be sent to the office for your student if you call by 11:00 a.m. on regular schedule days or 10:00 a.m. on minimum days. State law requires that the parent or guardian in writing, giving the date and specific reason(s) for absence, accounting for all absences. Please give the note to the teacher when the student returns to school. We will note the absence as full or partial, depending on the number of hours the student misses.
What is your tardy policy?
We expect students to arrive at school on time each day. Students are tardy if they arrive after the time fixed by the school policy for the beginning of the morning, afternoon, or any class session. Tardy students will report to the office for a tardy slip prior to going to class. Every three tardy slips will result in an after-school detention.
Continual and habitual tardiness will result in a parent/teacher conference to plan ways to resolve the problem. We define excessive tardiness as being late four times per trimester, for a total of 12 times per school year. Excessive tardiness, even if necessary or excused, may be grounds for decreased credit or disciplinary action at the discretion of the school principal.
Consequences for tardiness may include detention, a parent/teacher conference, and a parent/teacher/principal conference.
What is the lunch policy?
Learning to make and remembering to bring one's own lunch are useful life skills. Bringing one's pre-made lunch promotes fairness and equality among all members of a class; this is useful in communities such as St. Bede Catholic School. Bringing one's lunch in the morning reduces the front office workload at an especially busy time of day.
Accordingly, students must come to school with their lunches, or plan ahead to participate in the “Hot Lunch Program.” We communicate the hot lunch schedule via our school newsletter. We also send home prepayment menus.
- If you need to deliver a lunch, please bring it to the office.
- Students will pick them up from a convenient location.
- We will not deliver lunches to the student’s classroom.
- Please consider the message that children receive when they see a parent delivering a unique hot lunch to their student.
- At no time may a student receive a lunch over the school fence or leave the school grounds to obtain it.
Does St. Bede have a uniform policy?
Yes we do. St. Bede Catholic School takes pride in its tradition of excellence. This tradition should be evident to those who come in contact with representatives of the school. The best representatives of any school are its students. Therefore, certain basic uniform regulations exist for dress and grooming.
These regulations are in the interest of creating a safe environment conducive to learning and to demonstrating pride and membership in St. Bede Catholic School. We expect the attire of our students to enhance their self-image rather than make “statements.” In sum, we have established our uniform policy in the interests of meeting students’ needs for safety, belonging, identity and dignity.
- General Considerations: St. Bede Catholic School expects students to be in uniform every day unless excused for a special reason. If your child is not able to wear the uniform on a particular day, send a note to the teacher stating the reason. A student who is out of uniform or whose uniform has been modified out of standards deemed acceptable by teachers or the administration will not be admitted to class. Instead, he or she will be directed to call a parent to bring appropriate uniform clothing.
- Uniform Suppliers: For most items, we use Merry Mart Uniforms, 33 Washington St., Santa Clara, CA 95050. Their telephone number is (408) 296-0423. Parents also have an ongoing uniform exchange, wherein they may exchange clean, used clothes of one size for another.
Please see our Uniform Policy document located under Quick Links/Parents on our Home page for more details regarding student dress code policies, including uniforms, shoes, grooming, and free dress.